Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hello World: The Purpose of this Blog

The Compleat Angler is a book written by Sir Izaak Walton in the mid 1600s. More a book on the contemplative life and less on fishing advice, I was recently impacted by Walton's willingness to fish not for the sake of catching fish but for experiencing the glory of God. As an avid fisherman I realized that, despite the uncountable number of fish that I have caught in my young life, my experiences were incompleat. I had been pounding streams and working currents with the sole (soul) limiting reason of catching as many fish as could be caught in a day.

Jesus opened my eyes and heart to living for His glory and finding my satisfaction fully in Him. However, I was fishing for my own glory and enjoyment instead of giving all of the glory found in creation to Him. Through reading The Compleat Angler, Walton opened my eyes to doing all things, especially fishing, for the Glory of God.

1 Corinthians 10:31 states, "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." I want to use this blog to post about the eating, the drinking, and the whatevers that I do and how they relate to the glory of God. I look forward to the contemplative life in considering how, and if, the things that I do are done for the glory of God. God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment