Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Daily Devotions with My Wife

I have been married for over a year. I approached marriage with a master plan to have superb, inspiring, transforming daily devotions in the Bible with my wife, but as I look back over this time, I think I can count the number of times this happened on two hands. It's not for lack of wanting, but I think it is for lack of trying.

My middle school baseball coach once told me that it takes no talent to hustle. I think this advice applies to my devotion life with my wife. I may not have the most compelling or insightful things to say every morning, but that is no excuse for not training my wife and I up in the Word. This morning, my wife was cooking pancakes for my breakfast. I started thinking how many times in the past year she has cooked for me. She is an excellent chef and I greatly anticipate and enjoy the meals that she makes. She also keeps excellent order of our house. I am reminded of Proverbs 31 when I think of all that she does for the family. I think the greatest thing about what she does is her consistency. She doesn't just cook one large meal and say that's it for the month. She takes time each day to make a meal. It's not always elaborate, but it is always satisfying. I think daily devotions should be the same way.

I am so grateful for her and was inspired this morning to have daily devotions on a more consistent basis. I know I don't have the greatest, or even a mediocre, track record, but I think I can start "hustling" and training my family to enjoy time together in the Word. I know she is thirsty for it. I encourage every husband to join me in hustling with daily devotions with our wives. We need to encourage them and lead them to draw closer to Jesus our Savior, and we can do this by spending meaningful time in the Word.

Please feel free to reply with stories or tips on how to make this goal a reality.

1 comment:

  1. yeah, we didn't keep up with this either, although we certainly had grand plans before we got married!

    ReplyDelete